Saturday, July 25, 2009

Voices from the Quilt Hobby

From overallquilter on Twitter:

Quilting has changed with the times http://bit.ly/kuz3J

Yes, it has changed. But the core stays the same: The love of making something wonderful for friends, family and yourself out of fabric and thread.

I couldn't possibly say how many amazing and awesome quilts I've seen in the last decade plus of going to my Saturday classes. When I first joined with Carol Leigh, I felt like being at the home of an old friend right off. She was friendly, had excellent advise, and was always willing to share everything she knew about sewing and quilting. She was an amazing person. It was a huge shock when we heard she passed away unexpectedly one night.

That's when "we" met Judee Gonzalez. The total opposite of her last name. Short, round and blonde. The first day she taught, I learned more about sewing machines than in the last 35 years of my life. She had all the students bring in their machines for maintenance. One lady brought in a little Singer featherweight, complete with all it bits and bobs. And everything in it's original boxes. Again, Judee made me part of her family and she part of mine. Judee and her husband moved to Colorado a couple years ago to be closer to her family. I miss her!

Kerrie Missamore took over from Judee a couple years ago, and she's a hoot and half! Even clas sis fun even if I don't sew a stitch. Kerrie does long arm quilting too, and has done loads of wonderful work on many quilts in the area. She always has a project going (only one, hardly.... more like 20) and we all look forward to classes. No summer classes this year, the college couldn't afford to have the room for a free class this year. So looking forward to September this year. We get to see what other people have been doing over the summer.

Another thing I love is first day of class pot luck we have. Always yummie from everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment