Thursday, July 09, 2009

Voices from the Internet

A moment of silence, CompuServ closed it's doors today after being an Internet Service Provider since the last 1960's.

You can read the whole article from InfoWeek for more information.

I was with Prodigy for a very long time, until they turned off the servers running Prodigy Classic in October of 1999. I still miss the feeling of community and friendships that I made there. Ten years later, I still have yet to find anything that approaches the easy of use and accessibility of Prodigy.

Prodigy is where I first learned that opening a computer's case would NOT cause a rift in the space-time continuum. Thanks to Mark Laughtenschlager and Craig Crossman of Computer America for starting me down this long, windy and strange road of helping people fix their computers and get thte most out of them.

Prodigy is where I met an amazing and crazy bunch of people in a place called Serenity Springs. We've tried working with MSN and other places to keep in touch, but mostly use email now. They all will always be in my thoughts.

Prodigy is where I met a group of science fiction and fantasy people, and they made a club called Fandamonium. College kids, book store owners, mothers, dads, writers, and all kinds of nutty, crazy people. I'm only in contact with one of them now.

Like Prodigy, CompuServ brought people together. I hope they have a better time staying that way than we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment