Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Went to the Airport Today

Heard on the radio that there was going to be a B-29 Super Fortress at the Santa Maria Airport. (And to think I heard someone say that listening to radio is stupid....  How sad is that?  If I hadn't been listening I wouldn't have known about this.)  Fortunately, I don't live toooo far from there.  A short drive and $10 later, I was on the concrete looking at some old planes.

In addition to the B-29 (I'll get to that in a bit), there was a C-45 Expeditor.

 Here's a plaque on the C-45.
 Looks like European Invasion stripes.  I think.
 The five planes were here from the Commemorative Air Force.
 This man was a C-45 pilot.  Said they were great fliers, but a handful on the ground.  The nose made it hard to see forward.  Told me a story of a fellow that stopped in front of one to look at something, and the nose passed right over him, then knocked him down under the fuselage till he was run over by the tail wheel!  Good thing the fellow didn't get hit by a prop....  He had me take a few pictures of him with the plane, I was very happy to oblige.
What a thing to see, a true piece of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment