Tuesday, June 02, 2009

TechTeach, Issue Sixteen

One of my subscribers, Patty, asks me a good question: “…while I’m on the subject of email, I’ve really enjoyed your tech savvy letters. Could you do one on how to remove email files to the computer or to a thumb drive???”

There’s a couple of ways to do this. You can archive your emails to a backup, using the export or archive commands. There, you should be able to pick the drive and folder you want to archive your email to. With Outlook Express, you can use the Import and Export commands under the File menu to backup your Address Book and Email to a file that you can copy to a thumb drive. You can also save each mail. A great resource for using Outlook is “Link ‘Em Up On Outlook” by Stephen J. Link. It covers Outlook 2000, 2002, and 2003.

Also, here is a link to a Microsoft Knowledge Base Article about Outlook:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

This tutorial is designed to provide a quick and easy way to back up your Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express e-mail:

http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm

You can also look at this Google link for more information on doing backups for Outlook:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+backup+outlook&btnG=Google+Search&aq=0&oq=how+to+backup+

I have to say I haven’t used Outlook in quite some time now as I use online mail services for email, such as Gmail, Yahoo and Excite. I find them useful for when I’m away from home and need to check mail as I can check mail anywhere there is a computer with an Internet connection. And I don’t have to worry (too much) about loosing mail, as it is all stored on someone else’s computer. My oldest email dates back to 2004 and is from the Gmail Team welcoming me to the service.

I do use Outlook 2003 on my laptop for keeping track of contacts. I only have Office 2000 on my main computer, and Outlook 2000 won’t do that here for me. Even so, the laptop is very out of date. I’d be better off just using Gmail and filling in the blanks there instead. Then, I can have my contacts anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment