Saturday, August 22, 2009

Gnomedex - 2009

This was the ninth year of Chris Pirillo's Gnomedex. Started in 2001 as a small gathering of friends from chat, it is now a two day social and communications event now held in Seattle at the Bell Harbor Event Center. Full of who's who in tech and social circles, Gnomedex has something for everyone. From the application of prosthesis to a box that uses plastic to make things to how technology can make the lives of people better.

In the coming days, the video of Gnomedex 9.0 will be uploaded to YouTube for your viewing. I hope you'll check out some of the links below from Saturday and if you can help out in some way, please do.

Drew Olanoff was awesome talking aobut his dealing with cancer, so were many of the other guests. Mark Horvath brought a face to homelessness. Bre Pettis had the Makerbot, a little box of stuff that can create anything out of plastic as long as it's 4x4x6 inches. Phil Platt talked about being skeptic, looking around, opening your eyes and asking questions. FoldIt with Firas Khatib brought a "game" to help with protein folding. Christine Peterson talked about life extension and how you can make your life longer and better. Amber Case talked about the Prosthetic Culture and how devices have extended and enhanced humans.

I have to say that I did some of the early things, but I have it on good authority that they were just as good too.

The closing remarks from Kris Krug were funny, some of his pictures too hilarious and he gave out awards made from the Makerbot. He said they were good for one free lap dance from Chris but I don't think that'll ever happen.

I had a great time just watching on the live stream, of which the entire event was broadcast to over 850 people. I'm not much of a traveler anymore, so even if I had the means I don't think I'd go as much as I'd love to meet all the people. Just too far to drive and I don't fly anywhere. Unless it's to Hawaii. Wouldn't mind if UStream's full screen link kept the video in full screen if you clicked to another monitor. Many people have dual monitors now. I was even surprised the chat was pretty calm. Thanks to all you who joined and had a good time.

Chris has already announced Gnomedex 10.0 for August 19 and 20 at Bell Harbor in 2010. Easly tickets can be had for under 300 dollars, and it's an excellent deal! Looking forward to seeing y'all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment